What is SEO?
“SEO stands for “search engine optimization”. It is a process of getting traffic from “free”, “organic”, “editorial” or “natural” search results on search engines.
All major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo have primary search results, where web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users. Payment isn’t involved, as it is with paid search ads.”
To sum up, search engine collects information from every page on the web, so they can help people to find exactly what they are looking for.
In every search engine, it has it owns recipe and it calls algorithm for turning information into relevant search result and this algorithm will change every time. Therefore, when you do a search, you are not actually searching the web, you are searching index of the web.
What is an index page? “Index pages are collections of other pages, and in some templates, have a unique URL structure that includes a #.”
How SEO works?
Search Engines use a special formula to analyses huge amounts of data about all the web pages they can find in order to determine which web pages they should present when someone searches for a keyword phrase, and in what order they should present them.
If you own a website and is not up to the standard of SEO Success factors, it will affect your ranking in search result. People can be easily look out for you if your pages have higher rankings and the key to higher ranking is making sure your website has this points:
- Words Matter
- Search engine read every word on the web. It will narrow down the search results that related to the word that user has key in.
- Titles Matter
- Search engines pay a a lot attention on the page title because page title is a summaries of the page like book title.
- Example of the code title: <title> ……</title>
- Links Matter
- A web page with a lot of link is coming to it can look good to search engine. But some people try to fool the search engine by creating or buying bogus links all over the web that point to their own webpage. Usually search engines can detect when a site has a lot of them and the account for it by giving links from trustworthy sites
- Words in Links
- If a lot of webpage creates a word link that link to your site, your website will rank well. For example, “Apple sell magic mouse” and the words magic mouse is linked. Search engines can establish that apple.com.sg is related to the word magic mouse. This way when someone searches for magic mouse, the apple website will rank well.
This is what we called Search Engine Optimization or SEO.
There are two primary factors that are the foundation for successful search page result. There are ON-THE-PAGE FACTOR/Onsite SEO and OFF-THE-PAGE FACTOR/Offsite SEO.
ON-THE-PAGE FACTOR/Onsite SEO
Onsite SEO is things you can control or everything you can do on your website to help boost your organic search performance.
Explanation for technical term:
Organic search results are listings on search engine results pages that appear because of their relevance to the search terms, as opposed to their being advertisements. In contrast, non-organic search results may include pay advertising.
This are simple checklist that will bring in more search engine traffic from every piece of content that you publish :
OFF-THE-PAGE FACTOR/Offsite SEO
Offsite SEO is a strategy outside your website designed to draw attention to your site. For example, you will be working at other online pages to make your website well know among the web. These tactics primarily center on posting links to your site through various methods such as:
- Writing articles for other sites
- Blog comments
- Social networks
So which strategy is more important to enhance your website ranking?
In conclusion, use both on site and off site search SEO to ensure that we get the best of both of the major SEO components.